Michigan Catholic Conference is a statewide organization that primarily focuses on advocacy at the State Capitol in Lansing. However, MCC will engage with Michigan’s congressional delegation at the request of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops when a critical issue arises at the federal level. Such engagement may include:
- Legislation that extends full legal protection to individuals and institutions regarding conscience rights in health care, child placement services, education, and employment decisions.
- Promotion of ethical medical research and the elimination of federal funding for research that uses aborted fetal tissue.
- Ensuring that global assistance from the United States does not promote abortion.
- Protecting liberty, privacy, and parental and individual rights through policies that support the authentic nature of the human person and recognize the inherent biological differences between males and females.
- Reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to ensure the equitable participation of nonpublic school students and teachers.
- Expansion of federal school choice policies to benefit Michigan families.
- Legislation that would codify the Deferred Action Against Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program for individuals who were brought to this county when they were children.
- Comprehensive immigration reform that promotes family unity, does not separate family members, streamlines the process for legal immigration, includes a path for low-skilled workers to work in the United States, and includes a path toward citizenship for undocumented persons already in the United States.
- Equitable access for nonprofit and faith-based organizations to federal financial assistance during times of national crisis or local emergencies.
- Policies that encourage collaboration between federal and nongovernmental organizations for prudent and coordinated allocation of international aid.
- Former Michigan Congressman Dale Kildee Remembered As ‘A Man of Deep Faith, a Dedicated Advocate for Education’ (10/14/21)
- Catholic Conference Welcomes House Resolution in Support of Welcoming Afghan Refugees to Michigan (10/05/21)
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- Statement Regarding New Lawsuit Filed by Michigan Catholic Conference Against “HHS Mandate” (11/14/13)
- Sens. Levin and Stabenow Applauded for Immigration Vote (06/28/13)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Could Roe Go? What Dobbs Case Could Mean For Abortion In Michigan (12/02/21)
- Taxpayer Funding Should Not Pay for Abortions (06/18/21)
- Catholic Action Needed to Promote Life, Protect the Unborn (05/28/21)
- So-Called ‘Equality Act’ Threatens Society and Religious Communities (05/21/21)
- During Pandemic, Catholic Schools Rise to the Challenge (04/30/21)
- Freedom to Serve (Focus Essay, 9/2017)
- For Your Marriage
- Por Tu Matrimonio
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Catholics Confront Global Poverty
- National Association of State Catholic Conference Directors
- National Catholic Bioethics Center
- USCCB Initiative: Marriage: Unique for a Reason
- Justice for Immigrants
- MCC Legal Response to the HHS Mandate (MCC Board of Directors, 5/2012)
MCC in the News
- Judge Blocks Rule That Moves Relief Funds to Private Schools (Associated Press, 08/27/20)
- Catholic Officials Encourage Parishioners to Take 2020 Census (Detroit Catholic, 07/23/20)
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Michigan Launches Census Committee Amid Concerns of Minority Undercount (Detroit Free Press, 06/14/19)
- MCC ‘Pleased’ With Decision to Settle Lawsuit Against HHS Mandate (The Michigan Catholic, 10/18/17)
- Catholic Church Settles in Contraceptive Litigation (MIRS, 10/18/17)
- National Effort on Religious Liberty Seen Helping State Advocacy on Issue (Catholic News Service, 06/23/17)
- Refugees Deserve Our Help (Detroit News, 12/18/15)
- MCC Pleased Injunction Granted on Contraception Mandate (Detroit News, 01/02/14)
- MCC Challenges the Affordable Care Act Contraception Mandate (MLive, 11/14/13)
- Lansing Update:
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children Backgrounder (7/2014)
- Webinar: Children Traveling Alone: The Catholic Church’s Response (06/20/14)
- Mission to Central America: The Flight of Unaccompanied Children to the United States (11/2013)
- Visit Poverty USA and learn how you can combat poverty in America
- En Español: Pobreza USA
- Video from Michigan Bishops on HHS Lawsuit (6/2012)