The Michigan Catholic Conference Board of Directors has unanimously approved the Conference’s advocacy priorities for the 102nd Michigan Legislature. These priorities target nine categories:
- Upholding the Dignity of Human Life
- Providing for the Poor and Vulnerable
- Protecting Religious Liberty and the Freedom to Serve
- Supporting Students, Schools, and Parents
- Strengthening Marriages and Families
- Improving Access to Healthcare
- Pursuing Restorative Justice
- Welcoming Immigrants and Refugees
- Caring for Creation and Preserving Natural Resources
The principles used to develop these legislative priorities flow from the basic belief in the inherent dignity of each person and in society’s responsibility to ensure that dignity, the Catholic Church’s teachings and traditions as they apply to today’s political environment, and the fundamental principle of justice for all people.
The Michigan Catholic Conference’s legislative priorities are not a catalog of the Conference’s position on every important issue that may arise over the next two years. Rather, they are intended to communicate a sense of what state government’s top priorities should be to foster the common good.