Providing a quality education for the next generation of leaders is essential toward improving the lives of Michiganders. The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that parents have both the right and responsibility to act as the first educators of their children. Therefore, each family must choose the schooling that best fits their needs: public or nonpublic, religious or non-religious, online or in-person, at home or in a school building. To ensure excellent educational options for all, to respond to the cries of the poor for better options, and to help Catholic schools thrive, MCC supports:
- Reimbursement to nonpublic schools for state-mandated, noninstructional services, including policies which protect the health, safety, and well-being of students.
- Maximized opportunities of nonpublic school students to participate in comprehensive shared time services.
- Policies that seek to improve the quality of public education and ensure parental rights within the public school setting.
- State policies which enable Michigan residents to take full advantage of federal school choice programs.
- A requirement that all public school districts have open enrollment policies.
- Protection of nonpublic schools from excessive regulation.
- Continued participation of nonpublic schools in school safety and noncore extra-curricular grant opportunities.
- Adequate funding for the Michigan Tuition Grant and Tuition Incentive Programs.
- Amending Article VIII, Section 2 of the Michigan Constitution to allow the Michigan Legislature greater flexibility for necessary education reforms.
- Policies that foster and promote education and job training for the skilled trades.
- Inclusion of nonpublic schools, students, faculty, and staff in school-based funding programs and initiatives, whenever appropriate.
- After ESA Veto, Gov. Whitmer and Lawmakers Encouraged to Direct Billions in Federal Resources to Students Impacted by Covid (11/08/21)
- To Provide Michigan Families with Greater Educational Options, MCC Urges Gov. Whitmer to Sign ESA Legislation (10/27/21)
- Governor’s Veto of Health and Safety Line-Item Neither Just Nor Fair (09/30/20)
- MCC Joins Legal Brief to Support Nonpublic Schools in Michigan vs. DeVos CARES Act Case (07/29/20)
- Lawsuit to Block COVID-19 Funding Discriminates Against Nonpublic School Students (07/07/20)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- During Pandemic, Catholic Schools Rise to the Challenge (04/30/21)
- Small Steps of Love in the State Budget Process (03/12/21)
- During Challenges, the Church Calls for Faith (08/14/20)
- Patience and Persistence: Advocacy Successes in 2019 (01/17/20)
- Prioritizing the Vulnerable in the State Budget (03/22/19)
- Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools, a service provider and public policy voice for Michigan non-public schools
- National Catholic Education Association, a voluntary association of Catholic educators and institutions
- Catholic Schools: Developing Hearts and Minds of Faith (Focus Essay, 11/2013)
- A Just Beginning for All, A Series of Messages on Education (Michigan Bishops, 2000)
- Statement on Education Reform (MCC Board of Directors, 1993)
MCC in the News
- Judge Blocks Rule That Moves Relief Funds to Private Schools (Associated Press, 08/27/20)
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Hundreds from Many Types of Schools Rally for School Choice Week (PR Newswire, 01/22/20)
- Opinion: Stop Treating Private School Students as Second Class Citizens (Detroit News, 01/20/20)
- Michigan Supreme Court May Settle Issue of Public Aid for Private Schools (Detroit News, 06/25/19)
- Schuette Will Appeal Court Ruling That Stopped Funding for Nonpublic Schools (Detroit News, 05/14/18)
- Schuette, Stand for Private Schools (Detroit News, 05/10/18)
- Mich. Judge Strikes Down State Aid to Private Schools (Detroit News, 04/26/18)
- Suit: State Aid Ban for Private Schools ‘Anti-Catholic’ (Detroit News, 04/14/18)
- Fund Mandates in Private Schools (Detroit News, 07/26/17)