Upholding the Dignity of Human Life
Every human being is created in the image and likeness of God. Human life is sacred, and the dignity of the human person is the foundation of a moral vision for society.
Because human life is sacred, every person—regardless of his or her stage of life or condition—has a universal right to live. Upholding the dignity of life applies to every person in every circumstance throughout life, from conception to natural death.
To uphold and protect the dignity of every human person, MCC supports:
- Recognizing and protecting the value of every person’s life from conception to natural death.
- Initiatives and pregnancy care programs that provide and expand alternatives to abortion, as well as assist pregnant and parenting women with prenatal, postpartum, and adoption services.
- Eliminating abortion and promoting the health and safety of women.
- Prohibiting or regulating policies that violate the dignity of the human person and the sanctity of human life, including embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, and upholding Michigan’s surrogacy laws.
- Seeking to reduce violence in society, including the reduction of access to guns and increase in access to mental health and addiction treatment for high-risk groups and individuals.
- Expanding and improving end-of-life care through a person’s natural death.
- Supporting the authentic nature of the human person and recognize the inherent biological differences between males and females.
- Addressing racial injustice and promote racial harmony.
- Michigan Catholic Conference Helps Launch Statewide Campaign to Oppose Abortion-on-Demand Constitutional Proposal (05/24/22)
- To Promote Dignity and Work, MCC Encourages Support for Proposed Increase to Michigan Earned Income Tax Credit (01/26/22)
- Statement on Proposed Ballot Effort to Enshrine Abortion in Michigan’s Constitution (01/07/22)
- Former Michigan Congressman Dale Kildee Remembered As ‘A Man of Deep Faith, a Dedicated Advocate for Education’ (10/14/21)
- Catholic Conference Welcomes House Resolution in Support of Welcoming Afghan Refugees to Michigan (10/05/21)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- Time to Discuss Law Enforcement Reform Again After Tragic Death in Grand Rapids (05/25/22)
- Could Roe Go? What Dobbs Case Could Mean For Abortion In Michigan (12/02/21)
- Taxpayer Funding Should Not Pay for Abortions (06/18/21)
- Catholic Action Needed to Promote Life, Protect the Unborn (05/28/21)
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (Focus Essay, 5/2019)
- Vaccinations and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 3/2018)
- Promoting a Respect for Life (Focus Essay, 12/2017)
- Confronting Violence in Society (Focus Essay, 9/2015)
- The Science of Stem Cells, Finding Cures and Protecting Life (Focus Essay, 10/2007)
- Letter to Catholics Regarding Stem Cell Research (Michigan Bishops, 10/2007)
- Statement on the Death Penalty (MCC Board of Directors, 3/1999)
- Living and Dying According to the Voice of Faith (Michigan Bishops, 9/1997)
MCC in the News
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine research method creates conflict for Catholics (ClickOnDetroit.com, 03/05/21)
- Michigan Prolife Group Ends Petition Effort to Ban D&E Abortions (Catholic News Agency, 07/22/20)
- Opinion: Catholic Teaching Affirms Dignity of Black Lives, Promotes Peace (Detroit News, 07/19/20)
- Opinion: How to Sustain Life During a Pandemic (Detroit News, 04/23/20)
- MCC Calls Governor’s Abortion Stance Removed from Reality (Catholic News Agency, 04/20/20)
- Michigan Program Offers Support to Pregnant Women (Oakland Press, 09/16/19)
- Editorial—Dems Target Pregnancy Support Centers (Detroit News, 07/22/19)
- Michigan Considers Two Pro-Life Ballot Initiatives (Catholic News Agency, 07/19/19)
- Michigan Catholic Leaders Tout ‘Dismemberment’ Abortion Ban, Not ‘Heartbeat’ Bill (Detroit News, 06/27/19)
- GOP Lawmakers Hold Hearings on Proposed Ban on Abortion Procedure (Michigan Radio, 04/25/19)
- Lansing Update:
- Impact of Pregnancy Centers in Our State (5/2021)
- Staff Testimony: Coercive Abortion Prevention Legislation (5/2016)
- Bulletin Announcement: Passage of Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act (12/2013)
- Bulletin Insert: Human Life & Dignity Advocacy
- Video: On the Catholic Perspective on Assisted Suicide (3/2013)
- Poll: Voters Overwhelmingly Support Licensing and Inspecting Abortion Clinics (9/2012)