Strengthening Marriages and Families
Marriage and family life is the core social institution, directed toward establishing a foundation of success for children.
The institution of marriage between one man and one woman and the raising of children should be encouraged and supported. At the same time, attention and resources should be directed toward situations where the family structure has broken down and negatively impacted children.
To strengthen marriage and family life and promote the wellbeing of children in all circumstances, MCC supports:
- Promoting the traditional definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
- Protecting and promoting the stability of marriage and the institution of the family, including protecting parental rights.
- Strengthening the long-standing relationship between the State of Michigan and nonprofit agencies in the provision of child placement services.
- Combating human trafficking, domestic violence, and abuse of vulnerable persons.
- Supporting and promoting adoption and improving foster care.
Michigan Celebrates Marriage TV Ads
- Michigan Catholic Conference Helps Launch Statewide Campaign to Oppose Abortion-on-Demand Constitutional Proposal (05/24/22)
- To Promote Dignity and Work, MCC Encourages Support for Proposed Increase to Michigan Earned Income Tax Credit (01/26/22)
- Statement on Proposed Ballot Effort to Enshrine Abortion in Michigan’s Constitution (01/07/22)
- After ESA Veto, Gov. Whitmer and Lawmakers Encouraged to Direct Billions in Federal Resources to Students Impacted by Covid (11/08/21)
- To Provide Michigan Families with Greater Educational Options, MCC Urges Gov. Whitmer to Sign ESA Legislation (10/27/21)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Our Plan to Advance the Common Good This Legislative Session (02/03/23)
- Could Roe Go? What Dobbs Case Could Mean For Abortion In Michigan (12/02/21)
- So-Called ‘Equality Act’ Threatens Society and Religious Communities (05/21/21)
- Small Steps of Love in the State Budget Process (03/12/21)
- Catholic Advocacy in 2021—Be a Light (02/26/21)
- Proposal 1—Say No to Recreational Marijuana (Focus Essay, 10/2018)
- Transportation, Community, and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 7/2016)
- Confronting Violence in Society (Focus Essay, 9/2015)
- Statement Regarding Decision Overturning Michigan’s Marriage Amendment (Michigan Bishops, 3/21/14)
- Human Trafficking: Modern Day Slavery in Our Midst (Focus Essay, 2/2014)
- A Call to Prayer for Life, Marriage, and Religious Liberty (USCCB Prayer Intention, 2013)
- USCCB Initiative: For Your Marriage
- USCCB Initiative: Por tu Matrimonio
- USCCB Initiative: Marriage: Unique for a Reason
MCC in the News
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Michigan Supreme Court May Settle Issue of Public Aid for Private Schools (Detroit News, 06/25/19)
- Organizations Push for Increased Earned Income Tax Credit (Michigan Radio, 06/12/19)
- Opinion: Nessel Threatens Religious Freedom (Detroit News, 04/30/19)
- Religious Discrimination is Wrong Too (Detroit News, 04/22/19)
- Opponents Speak Out Against Mich. Pot Legalization Proposal (Detroit News, 10/24/18)
- MCC CEO Long Elected to National Leadership Post (The Michigan Catholic, 09/20/18)
- ACLU’s ‘Petty Lawsuit’ Won’t Help Foster Children, Families Tell Court (Catholic News Agency, 03/08/18)
- Michigan Lawsuit Could Imperil Religious Adoption Agencies (Catholic News Agency, 09/24/17)
- ACLU Sues Michigan on Adoption Legislation (MLive, 09/20/17)
- Lansing Update:
- Catholic Relief Services: Slavery and Human Trafficking
- USCCB: Anti-Trafficking Program
- Summary of 2014 Enacted Human Trafficking Laws
- MCC Testifies on Behalf of Human Trafficking Legislation in Senate Committee (11/13/13)
- Bulletin Insert: Children and Families Advocacy