The Catholic Church for decades has called for federal immigration reform and state policies that treat immigrants and refugees with respect. People of faith are called to welcome the stranger among them, and “to be present to those in need of help, regardless of whether or not they belong to our social group.” Being present includes a willingness to advocate for measures that recognize the worth of immigrants, migrants, and refugees; supporting policies that keep families together; and reviewing legislation that addresses the root causes of migration. In 2021–2022, MCC will support:
- Upholding the human dignity of all persons and working against injustices that compromise the dignity of immigrants.
- Policies that prevent the separation of families.
- Policies that promote access to state identification.
- Continuing to welcome refugees and asylees to the state who have been admitted by the federal government.
- Recognizing and promoting the values that immigrants and refugees provide to Michigan’s culture and economy.
- MCC Advocates for Driver License Access for Undocumented Persons (09/20/16)
- Catholic Church in Michigan Stands Ready to Assist Refugees (11/16/15)
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- Regarding Governor Snyder’s Comments on Immigration During State of the State Address (01/16/14)
- Sens. Levin and Stabenow Applauded for Immigration Vote (06/28/13)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Refugees and Catholic Social Teaching (Focus Essay, 3/2016)
- Justice for Immigrants (USCCB Initiative, 2013)
- Parish Resource Kit on Immigration Issues (USCCB, 2013)
- Statement on Immigration (Michigan Bishops, 2011)
- Declaraciónes Sobre la Inmigración (Los Obispos Católicos de Michigan, 2011)
- On Immigration (Focus Essay, 5/2008)
MCC in the News
- Faith Leaders Embrace New Mission: 2020 Census (Detroit News, 05/28/20)
- Michigan Launches Census Committee Amid Concerns of Minority Undercount (Detroit Free Press, 06/14/19)
- Refugees Deserve Our Help (Detroit News, 12/18/15)
- Immigrant Children Deserve Security and Compassion (Detroit Free Press, 07/18/14)
- Create a Way for Illegal Immigrants to be Made Whole (Detroit Free Press, 08/16/11)
- Guest Commentary: Everyone Deserves to Be Treated Well (Detroit Free Press, 08/07/11)
- Michigan’s Catholic Bishops Urge Immigrant Support (WILX 10, 08/03/11)
- Mich. Catholic Bishops Call for Immigration Reform (CBS Detroit, 08/03/11)
- Lansing Update:
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children Backgrounder (7/2014)
- Webinar: Children Traveling Alone: The Catholic Church’s Response (06/20/14)
- Mission to Central America: The Flight of Unaccompanied Children to the United States (11/2013)
- Bulletin Insert: Immigration Advocacy