The Catholic Church is present in society to assist humankind through life’s many challenges: supporting expecting mothers during unexpected or difficult pregnancies, assisting parents through foster placements and adoptions, and helping the elderly or infirm with terminal illnesses and end-of-life care. MCC will support policies this legislative session that uplift and protect the dignity of human life, especially the unborn and those marginalized by economic challenges. MCC will also encourage policies that care for vulnerable women and families, mitigate violence, seek greater racial understanding, and promote life-affirming palliative care. The Conference further supports:
- Policies that recognize the value of every person’s life from conception to natural death.
- Policy initiatives and pregnancy care programs that provide and expand alternatives to abortion, as well as assist pregnant and parenting women with prenatal, postpartum, and adoption services.
- Measures to eliminate abortion and promote the health and safety of women.
- Prohibiting or regulating research policies which violate the dignity of the human person and the sanctity of human life.
- Policies that seek to reduce violence in society, including the reduction of gun violence.
- Upholding the constitutional ban on the death penalty and the statutory ban on assisted suicide.
- Policies that expand and improve end-of-life care through a person’s natural death.
- Policies that support the authentic nature of the human person and recognize the inherent biological differences between males and females.
- Policies that address racial injustice and promote racial harmony.
- Catholic Conference Praises Unanimous SCOTUS Fulton Decision to Protect Religious Liberty, Expresses Gratitude for Mission of Catholic Charities to Serve Others (06/17/21)
- Governor Whitmer’s 2020–2021 State Budget Includes Highs and Lows, Says Catholic Conference (02/06/20)
- For Second Straight Year, MCC Presented with Three Top Awards for Excellence in Public Relations (04/22/19)
- ‘A Blueprint for the Common Good’ (02/09/15)
- Catholic Conference Vows Vigorous Opposition to Death Penalty Resolution (02/04/15)
- The Word from Lansing Column:
- Taxpayer Funding Should Not Pay for Abortions (06/18/21)
- Catholic Action Needed to Promote Life, Protect the Unborn (05/28/21)
- Small Steps of Love in the State Budget Process (03/12/21)
- Catholic Advocacy in 2021—Be a Light (02/26/21)
- COVID-19 Vaccines and Moral Considerations (01/15/21)
- Clean and Affordable Water for All (Focus Essay, 5/2019)
- Vaccinations and the Common Good (Focus Essay, 3/2018)
- Promoting a Respect for Life (Focus Essay, 12/2017)
- Confronting Violence in Society (Focus Essay, 9/2015)
- The Science of Stem Cells, Finding Cures and Protecting Life (Focus Essay, 10/2007)
- Letter to Catholics Regarding Stem Cell Research (Michigan Bishops, 10/2007)
- Statement on the Death Penalty (MCC Board of Directors, 3/1999)
- Living and Dying According to the Voice of Faith (Michigan Bishops, 9/1997)
MCC in the News
- Johnson & Johnson vaccine research method creates conflict for Catholics (ClickOnDetroit.com, 03/05/21)
- Michigan Prolife Group Ends Petition Effort to Ban D&E Abortions (Catholic News Agency, 07/22/20)
- Opinion: Catholic Teaching Affirms Dignity of Black Lives, Promotes Peace (Detroit News, 07/19/20)
- Opinion: How to Sustain Life During a Pandemic (Detroit News, 04/23/20)
- MCC Calls Governor’s Abortion Stance Removed from Reality (Catholic News Agency, 04/20/20)
- Michigan Program Offers Support to Pregnant Women (Oakland Press, 09/16/19)
- Editorial—Dems Target Pregnancy Support Centers (Detroit News, 07/22/19)
- Michigan Considers Two Pro-Life Ballot Initiatives (Catholic News Agency, 07/19/19)
- Michigan Catholic Leaders Tout ‘Dismemberment’ Abortion Ban, Not ‘Heartbeat’ Bill (Detroit News, 06/27/19)
- GOP Lawmakers Hold Hearings on Proposed Ban on Abortion Procedure (Michigan Radio, 04/25/19)
- Lansing Update:
- Impact of Pregnancy Centers in Our State (5/2021)
- Staff Testimony: Coercive Abortion Prevention Legislation (5/2016)
- Bulletin Announcement: Passage of Abortion Insurance Opt-Out Act (12/2013)
- Bulletin Insert: Human Life & Dignity Advocacy
- Video: On the Catholic Perspective on Assisted Suicide (3/2013)
- Poll: Voters Overwhelmingly Support Licensing and Inspecting Abortion Clinics (9/2012)