Field Trip Policy Summary
Class visits to places of cultural or educational significance give enrichment to the lessons of the classroom. To ensure the desired outcomes of such trips, teachers should prepare the pupils for the place that is to be visited and the things that are to be seen. A discussion should be held regarding the purpose(s) and goal(s) of the trip. An advance trip by the teacher is suggested.
The written consent of parents must be obtained for every child participating in a field trip. Permission slips must inform parents of the following (sample form):
- Name, location, and date(s) of the event
- Cost to the student
- Mode of transportation to be used
- Name of supervisor overseeing the activity
- Parent’s responsibility
No student may participate unless a signed parent permission slip for the specific event is on file with the principal.
Medical information, contact persons and authorization for emergency medical treatment must be with the chaperones.
Whenever possible, bus transportation should be provided. The use of private vehicles is discouraged. If a private passenger vehicle must be used, the following must be verified by the driver (see form).
- The driver must be 19 years of age or older.
- The driver must have a valid, non-probationary driver’s license and no physical disability that may impair the ability to drive safely.
- The vehicle must have a registration.
- The vehicle must have a valid state inspection sticker (if this is applicable to your area).
- The vehicle must be insured for minimum limit of $500,000 CSL (Combined Single Limit). Due to some insurers limitations, limits of $250,000 per person/$500,000 per occurrence are acceptable.
A signed Volunteer Driver Information Sheet must be submitted to the principal for each vehicle used.
Each driver and/or chaperone should be given a copy of the approved itinerary including the route(s) to be followed and a summary of their responsibilities. For trips other than interschool athletics, supervision of one (1) adult per ten (10) students is required.